Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Sheikh and I

Recently some Syrians opened a falafel shop around the corner from our house.  Falafel is made by mashing pinto beans and chick peas together, adding a few spices, and forming the paste into a ball, which is then deep fried.  It's very much like a hush puppy, only less greasy.  My taste for this delicious treat led me into a most interesting friendship.  Perhaps the Holy Spirit has found it easier to lead me around by my nose.

The Syrians are very hospitable.  I already knew that some of them were religious because I had seen the fry cook saying his prayers and making his prostrations on a small mat in the back of the shop.  The owner,  Abdullah, welcomed me inside and offered a sample.  Immediately after the mandatory round of pleasant greetings, he asked "What is your religion?"  Clearly there would be no lead time here.

I told him that I was a Christian, which surprised him greatly.  We haven't met any Christians in our neighborhood and have been told that none live here.  He proudly announced that he was a Sunni Muslim.  After we talked for a while, he mentioned that he was a Sheikh (a Mosque leader and preacher), trained at Al-Azhar University in Egypt.  This is no small matter, Al-Azhar is universally recognized as the foremost Islamic University in the world.  Abdullah had been the Sheikh (leader) of a Mosque in Syria before moving here to open a falafel shop and study his Master's degree in Islamic theology at a University here in Beirut.

He speaks absolutely no English, but is taking an English class at the University.  They are learning the alphabet right now, and he asked if I'd be willing to come by and speak with him in English regularly.  I told him that I'd be glad to drop by as long as I could work for falafel.  So, three or four nights each week I drop by and speak with him.

He loves to talk about religion, specifically about Islam, but occasionally he will ask me questions about Christianity.  He seems to think that there are several Gospels, and he asked me which one I read.  This led to an explanation about how we view the Bible, God's Word, and the different parts of it.  I told him that I'm an Evangelical Pastor, which has sparked his interest in discussing religion.  Perhaps I'm his mission field.

A few days ago, I asked him what he thought was the best verse in the Quran.  Now, I didn't do this because I'm a fan of the Quran.  I did this so that he might ask me about the Bible.  This is how one approaches Muslims, first be willing to hear what he says, then perhaps he will listen to you.  The Sheikh replied that all the verses were best.  I asked him what his favorite verse was, and he replied that all of them were his favorite. I paused a moment to consider how to frame the question, and he volunteered that he read some verses more than others.  I asked him which verse he read most often, and this was his answer:

Surat 112 (Sincerity) He is Allah, who is One, the eternal refuge.  He neither begets nor is born, nor is any equal to him.
This is one of the Quranic verses most often quoted to deny that Jesus is the Son of God.  He probably chose it to see how I'd react.  With a Maronite Priest, it would have started a bitter argument.  I just asked him why he read it most.

He then asked me what was my favorite verse in the Bible.  At that moment a customer walked into the store, and I decided to wait lest I cause a public dispute.  I want the Sheikh to know I can be discrete.  Perhaps, I thought, this is God's timing and I should wait.  After a while the customer left.  Abudullah asked me the question again, and it pleased me to know that he was interested in the answer, and not just reciprocating.   This was my answer (but in Arabic) to him:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he sent his one and only Son so that whoever believes in him would not perish, but have everlasting life.

I didn't do this to argue with him, but because it's an honest answer to his question, and an open opportunity to share the truth about Jesus and what he meant to mankind.  We Christians talk about breaking ground, sowing seeds, and watering them.  Ground probably doesn't get much colder and harder than a Sheikh trained at Al-Azhar.

But, we serve a risen Savior, who moves in power and strength.  The Holy Spirit is our sword and shield.  Our God is mighty to save!  Please pray for my friend Abdullah, and this Word planted in him. In fact, please stop reading for a moment and pray now.

In the end, theological discussions only go so far.  The greatest impression I've made on the Sheikh so far was playing with a baby.  One of our neighbors brought his 16 month old son into the store as we were talking.  The little boy just could not take his eyes off me and was smiling.  I asked the father if I could hold him and the little boy jumped in my arms and started laughing.  They were all surprised that he was so happy with me. So was I, in fact, I'm not exactly a kid magnet.

I said to the father that children are a gift from the Lord.  Later, Abudullah told me "You said that children are a gift from God, and we Muslims also say that.  Do you really believe that?"  He asked me this with a very serious and and interested expression.  "Does your Bible say that children are a gift from God?"  This is the first time I've felt he really wanted to know what the Bible says about something.

Yesterday Abdullah introduced me to a friend who was visiting at the shop.  He's a student of Islamic theology at the same University and serves as assistant Sheikh of a Mosque in the Beqa' region to the East.  We had a great conversation, and I hope to follow up on it.  Two Sheikhs!  

I hope and pray that God will use this for his glory.  It's definitely driving me to memorize more Bible verses in Arabic.  Please pray that I will be diligent, and that the Holy Spirit will come in power and lead these men to Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. praying while i read! so excited that the Lord is moving through you. yes, children are blessings from our God and Savior!

    ReplyDelete