Saturday, October 22, 2011

What about the children?

We are asked from time to time about the impact of this move on our children.  We're blessed to have friends who love our children and are concerned for their well being.  So, answering this question is important.

Parents move with children all the time in business, military, or government work.  Children go with their parents, and we all accept that as the way normal families do things.  We're ambassadors for the Kingdom of God, and so it is very normal for our children to make this move.  Kim was an Army brat and moved every few years her whole life.  From her perspective living in one place all the time is strange.

We've talked to the kids a lot about moving, to try to help them understand what to expect.  We've also made it clear that it's OK for them to talk about what they don't like, or will miss.  The Mission Society was especially helpful in guiding us and recommending material for us to use.  We've gone through the book "Third Culture Kids" as a family and found it very constructive.

One of the best ways to address this question is to let the children answer it.  So, today I will have four guest bloggers who will give their perspective on moving to Beirut.  I'll post their statements from youngest to oldest.

(4)
I kind of want to move and I kind of don't.  I know it's important but I'll miss my friends a lot.  I know that some people speak English so it will be easy to communicate but I don't know if in Churches they speak English.  I'm looking forward to the beaches.
Our youngest will actually have the easiest time.  She'll learn Arabic more easily, and won't have to unlearn as much American culture.  She may well spend more years being Lebanese than she will being American.

(3)
I think moving to Lebanon will be exciting, although I will miss my friends, and eating bacon.  What I find disappointing about Lebanon is they think dogs are dirty and unclean, which is why we can't bring my dog.  However, I am looking forward to going to the beach and having snow around for a while!  What I'm mostly looking forward to is spreading God's word across Lebanon.

Our third child will have a little more difficulty, but is still young enough to adapt well.  She's still in her little girl stage, but young womanhood isn't too far away.  One thing working in her favor is that she loves adventure and new things, and has a very open personality.

(2)
I'm super-excited about going to Lebanon.  I think it will be a great experience and I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot.  I'm looking forward to making new friends, having a cool accent, experiencing a new culture, and living in a huge city.

I think it will be a lot of fun and I can't wait for it.  But there are some things I'm not looking forward to, like saying goodbye to my friends and my "normal."  I really don't want to learn a whole new set of cultural rules.  I also won't like leaving 85% of my things.  But, besides those things, I can't wait.  I'll just try to look at the good things about moving.

Our second child has entered the teen years and is becoming more aware of group socialization.  He's always made friends well, but has not always been a "group" person.  Finding that dynamic in a new setting may be more challenging for him than it would be here.  He'll have to balance "new  kid" with "interesting kid from another country."

(1)
I'm excited about going to Lebanon; I'm really glad that God has called my family to foreign mission work.  I think it'll be a good experience for me, and the whole family.  In America, most people really only get to see one side of the world.  They never get out of their small-town life, or even see the bigger world that's out there.

Of course, I really don't want to leave all the friends I've made.  But, if I think about the scenario where Jesus told James and John to drop their nets, I can just do the same thing.  If my nets, in this case, is my social life, then I'll gladly drop it and follow Jesus.

Changing cultures during the teen years will be the hardest for our oldest.  He's already established his "group" and will have to do that again in a new culture.  As we've traveled from Church to Church raising our support, he's developed the habit of intentionally making friends.  He'll find some boys his age, introduce himself, and make a friend.  It may be more difficult to do that in Lebanon, but he's already developing that traits he will need to make that work.

We invite prayer for our children, and we thank everyone who prays for them and is concerned for them.  All the children want to stay in touch with their friends in the States through email and Skype, but we also want to engage the culture and make new friends among the people of Lebanon, especially among our Muslim neighbors..

No comments:

Post a Comment