Sunday, May 22, 2011

Who is Jesus (Isa)?

 No other historical figure has generated as much interest and curiosity as Jesus(Isa) of Nazareth.  One of the most often asked questions is "Who was Jesus(Isa)?"

In the Gospel (Injeel) Jesus (Isa) made some statements that tell us who he really was.  Here's what he said about himself:

"I am the bread of life. The one who comes to me will never become hungry, and the one who believes in me will never become thirsty.”

All of us need food and water in order to survive physically. Jesus used the illustration of bread because it is the staple of life for his audience. In another context, he might well have used “rice” or “corn.” He was teaching that just as we have basic needs for physical life, we also have basic needs for spiritual life. Jesus is soul food.


"I am the light of the world. The one who follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

We live in a world of spiritual darkness. We are unable to find God or His goodness on our own. The Gospel (Injeel) teaches us that Satan is the prince of this world of darkness. Jesus (Isa) comes into this world to bring us light, to rescue us from evil.


I am the gate. If anyone enters through me, he will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture.”

Jesus (Isa) provides us a connection to God. If we follow him as Lord he will be our Savior.


"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

Jesus (Isa) not only lived as a great prophet, he gave his life to save us. He did this for his followers as a supreme act of love.


"I am the resurrection and the life. The person who believes in me, even though he dies, will live.”

Not only did Jesus (Isa) save us from our sin, he defeated death. Because of this he offers life, eternal life, to those who follow him.


"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

We cannot be good enough to please God. When Adam and Eve sinned, they did not get a chance to do good to balance that. They were cut off from God. We are born in the image of Adam, cut off from God. No matter how hard we work and how well we obey God's commandments, we cannot take away that sin. Only Jesus (Isa) can cover all our sin and make a sure way to God.


I am the vine, you are the branches. The one who abides in me while I abide in him produces much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”

Jesus(Isa) connects us all to God, and to one another. Through him those who follow the true path have life. We bear the fruit of good work and life that is pleasing to God because we are rooted in following Jesus (Isa).

No comments:

Post a Comment